In our family, there are certain recipes that people are famous for making really well. One of Brittany’s recipes is Bert’s Famous Salsa. Bert is a nickname she has earned (among many) over the years, and is typically what we all call her. If you like salsa that’s easy to make, and is delicious, but has a kick Bert’s Famous Salsa is for you!
This salsa isn’t a chunky salsa, but is a nice smooth, restaurant-style salsa that will leave you eating a bag of chips all by yourself. Yes, it’s that good. This recipe is perfect to act as a side dish on Taco Tuesday, or great for a topping on just about any dish you can think of. Most of these ingredients should be in your fridge or pantry, so let’s get making!
- 1 can (10 oz) mild Rotel
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tablespoons pickled jalapeno juice
- 2 Tablespoons peperoncini juice
- 1 dried red chili pepper (can substitute a teaspoon of crushed red pepper)
- 1 peperoncini pepper
- 2 slices pickled jalapeno
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ habanero pepper
- *NOTE* When cutting your habanero pepper you should wear gloves or, just don't touch the pepper with your hands at all. Even if you wash your hands after handling the pepper, it's fire will still haunt you. Your eye will itch, and you will inevitably scratch it, and then life as you know it is OVER. Just trust us.
- Combine all the ingredients into a blender. Pulse for a few short bursts, until all the ingredients are mixed well. The salsa should be a smooth, restaurant-style consistency.
- Keep the salsa refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Like Mexican food? Check out these recipes too!