One of the BEST comfort foods my Mama makes is the ever famous Chicken Cheesy Rice. The recipe is so simple, but it’s delicious and the perfect food for cool weather!
One pot meals are basically my favorite way to cook. Less dishes, means less work AFTER the meal is finished. Chicken Cheesy Rice is one of my favorite one-pot meals and you’re going to love how easy it is to make. I think this even beats out Mama’s Meatloaf recipe when it comes to favorite comfort foods in my book!
This recipe makes a vat of food, so you’ll have plenty, even for a large family, and then hopefully some leftover to munch on over the coming days. I recommend making this in a large pot, or you will overfill your pot and it will no longer be a one-pot meal because you’ll have to get a second one! This isn’t quite as easy as our Three-Ingredient Sloppy Joes, but it’s pretty close!!
Chicken Cheesy Rice is something a dear friend of ours used to always bring to Church dinners and everyone LOVED it. It was always gone in no time, and we finally got the recipe from her and have been making it ever since. Everyone who eats this LOVES it. It’s that good.
- 6 quarts water
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 32 oz block of Velveeta Cheese
- 28 ounce box of rice (for a thicker consistency, add two more cups of rice in addition to the box)
- 4 Tablespoons of Mrs.Dash seasoning
- In a large pot (I use a soup pot) put in the water, seasoning, and chicken breasts.
- Bring the water to a boil, and continue to let it boil until the chicken is fully cooked.
- While it's cooking, cube the Velveeta into one-inch pieces.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the water.
- Add the box of rice to the water, and let it cook, covered, for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, cut up the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Once the rice has absorbed the water, add the chicken back into the pot.
- Add in the Velveeta and stir until the cheese is fully melted and it's thoroughly mixed.
- Serve the Chicken Cheesy Rice immediately.