Easter is coming, and I wanted to make something special this year. I decided to make these Stained Glass Cross Cookies and I love how they turned out!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you use them, you’re helping to support this site in a small way, and we appreciate that! See our full disclosure policy HERE.
My oldest daughter likes to help me in the kitchen for special holiday treats. We really like to make cookies together, and these Stained Glass Cross Cookies were no exception! They remind us of the real reason we celebrate Resurrection Sunday. I also love that in the center of the cross that bore death, and sin, and shame, is the stained glass in bright, beautiful colors representing hope. The story doesn’t end with the cross.
These cookies are simple enough for even very young ones to help with. The stained glass in our cookies was made from Jolly Ranchers, but you could probably use any hard candies. These made such pretty Spring colors!
WE HAVE LOTS OF OTHER EASTER RECIPES AND EASTER DIYS! FIND SOME IDEAS THERE TOO!
Stained Glass Cross Cookies
You don’t need a lot of candies to make the stained glass portion. Separate out the colors you want, and then unwrap them. One color at a time use your food processor to smash them down into little chunks. They don’t need to be a fine powder, they will met just fine.
NEED SOME MORE EASTER TREAT RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT!
Make the cookie dough, roll it out, and cut out your large crosses. Place them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
One color at a time, sprinkle some of the crumbled candy into the little cross cavities. Try not to get any on the big cookie portion, but if you do it’s not a huge deal.
Once they’re filled, they should look something like this. Fill them with a single color, or with multiple colors. It looks pretty no matter how you decide to do it!
Bake them for the directed time (see recipe below) and let them cool completely before eating! Don’t they turn out beautifully? Perfect for Easter, or the week of Easter, or a baptism celebration!
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon mayonaisse
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Cream your egg, butter, mayonnaise, sugar, and vanilla together in a bowl until creamy.
- Add in the baking powder, flour and salt and mix with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- If the mixture is still crumbly, mix with your hands until the dough sticks together well.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until the cookies are about ¼" thick.
- Use the cookie cutters to cut out the large cross cookies and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use the mini cross cookie cutter and cut out a mini cross from the large cross cookies.
- Use a food processor to crush the jolly rancher candies one color at a time.
- Use your fingers or a spoon to put in the crushed candies into the mini cross cavity.
- Bake them at 350F for 6 minutes.
- Then turn the pan and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Allow them to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.