Stick your gift cards in Elf Snot this year for Christmas and your kids will love it! It makes giving gift cards a little more personable, and a LOT more fun! Giving gift cards doesn’t have to be boring!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy HERE.
With just a little slime (that takes seconds to make) and a cute, free printable sticker, you can take your gift card gift from practical, to star of the show!
My daughter has BEGGED to play with this stuff since I made it and she loves it! This is THE BEST slime recipe I’ve ever made. It doesn’t get slimy and sticky with time, but actually stores very well, making it ideal for this Elf Snot gift idea!
How do you make Elf Snot?
Step 1: Gather your supplies.
Elf Snot Supplies:
- 2 bottles of clear school glue
- Neon green food coloring gel
- Baking Soda
- Contact Solution with boric acid (read more on that below)
- Small Mason Jar (I LOVE these plastic ones for gifting)
- Free Printable Elf Snot Stickers
- Printable Sticker Paper
- Gift card or small gift of some sort
Scroll all the way to the bottom of this post for a simple, printable recipe for this Elf Snot DIY.
Step 2: Mix the glue and food coloring.
Use a fork (or similar tool) and mix the food coloring and the clear school glue together until well-blended.
I only use gel food coloring, and not liquid, for this project to keep the liquid ratio correct.
Step 3: Add the baking soda.
Sprinkle the baking soda in next and try to spread it out so it doesn’t clump. Mix it well, until all the lumps are gone.
Step 4: Add the contact solution.
Next, you will need to add in the contact solution to activate your slime and turn it from sticky to playable slime!
What is contact solution?
I’ve had a LOT of people ask me, “What is contact solution?” The simple answer is that it’s a liquid used for the care of contact lenses for your eyes. You can find it at just about any drug store or grocery chain.
What kind of contact solution should I use?
You absolutely need to use a contact solution that has boric acid for this to work as your slime activator.
I have only ever used Walmart’s Equate brand Multi-Purpose Solution as pictured above for this recipe, and it’s never failed me (plus it’s cheap.)
Step 5: Mix until it’s not sticky.
When you first start to mix, you will need to use a fork. It will start off stretchy and sticky, like this. Keep mixing.
After a while, you will need to switch to mixing with your hands, to get it to a non-sticky, pliable slime that makes perfect Elf Snot.
Step 6: Place your gift card in the jar.
I used these super cute small plastic mason jars I found at the dollar store. You can also sometimes find them at Dollar General.
BUT you can always find them on Amazon HERE, which is my favorite since I don’t need to wear pants.
Do I need to wrap the gift card in plastic?
Many have expressed concern that the Elf Snot slime will somehow damage the gift card or the magnetic stripe. I’ve been making this for years and leaving gift cards in the slime, and have never had an issue.
However, if you want to be on the safe side, you can wrap it in saran wrap before placing it in the jar.
You could always put other gifts besides gift cards in the jar. I’d probably stick those in plastic or something to make sure they stay clean.
Step 7: Add the Elf Snot sticker.
Wait until you’re completely done with the gift to put the sticker on. The Elf Snot slime can be wet, and might smudge your printed sticker if done early.
Now you’re finished with your Elf Snot slime gift! Give it to a kid, teen, or heck, even an adult! It makes for lots of laughter and fun and everyone gets a kick out of it!
How long can I store Elf Snot?
A lot of people wanted to know how long the slime stays good. If you keep it in a sealed container, in a cool, dry place, the slime can stay good for a few months.
It’s best to give it “fresh” because cooled slime won’t be as sticky and stretchy, but it’s still fine.
If you want to watch a live video I did answering any questions people have had about Elf Snot, or to see exactly what I used, how I mixed it, the consistency etc, you can see the live video I did on Facebook for that HERE!
Want some more Christmas DIYs?
- Rootin’ Tootin’ Gift Idea – this is another hilarious gag gift idea that everyone loves. It’s super simple to make!
- Snowman Poop – Turn Tic-Tacs into an adorable stocking stuffer with this cute little DIY!
- Sixlet Elves – these are a SUPER cute way to make Sixlets into adorable gifts for any age! The printable makes these take no time at all too!
Make giving gift cards fun with Elf Snot this year! It's the perfect way to make people laugh at Christmas time!
- (2) 5 oz bottles of clear school glue
- Neon Green Gel Food Coloring
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 tablespoons contact solution
- Sticker Paper
- Free Printable Elf Snot Sticker Sheet
- Small Mason Jar
- Mix the glue and the neon green food coloring together. Use a moderate amount of food coloring. Add more if you think it needs it.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the top, and mix well with a fork until there are no lumps.
- Add in the contact solution and mix with the fork.
- After you've mixed with the fork for a while, mix with your hands until it's nice and stretchy, and not sticky.
- Put your gift ard, or other small gift, into the small mason jar.
- Add in the slime on top of the gift card until it's fully covered.
- Seal the mason jar with the lid.
- Print off the sticker onto sticker paper and cut it out. They will print 9 stickers per sheet.
- Put the Elf Snot sticker onto the jar.
- Your contact solution MUST HAVE boric acid to work. I always use Equate brand Multi-Purpose solution with great results.
- Store in a sealed container for best results.
- If you're concerned about damage to your gift, wrap the gift in saran wrap before putting in the Elf Snot slime.