Our family loves zucchini! When summer rolls around there’s always a TON of it being given away, or sold for very cheap because it’s so plentiful where we live in the midwest. Everyone around here gets creative with their recipes so they can use up all that yummy zucchini without it going to waste. This year I learned to make this Zucchini Crisp, or Mock Apple Crisp and it’s AMAZING!
When A friend told me about this recipe, and that it tasted JUST like apple crisp, I did not believe her. Not one tiny bit. She SWORE that it fooled everyone at her church dinner when one of the members made it, so I had to try it. You guys, if I had not been the one to peel the zucchini myself I would NEVER have known that it was zucchini and not apples in that Zucchini Crisp.
WANT TO MAKE ACTUAL APPLE CRISP? MAKE MY MAMA’S RECIPE! IT’S AMAZING!
In addition to the fact that I’m sure someone switched my zucchini for apples when I wasn’t looking while I was baking this, the topping on this is KILLER. It’s like an oatmeal cookie on top of baked apples and it’s SO good with vanilla ice cream! So if you have a ton of zucchini and are looking for zucchini recipes, then you need to try this Zucchini Crisp!
The first thing you will need to do is peel your zucchini. Then slice then in half long-ways and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. All the seeds. You will ruin the texture if you skip this step. You will fool no one with your slimy zucchini covered in cinnamon if you skip this step. Don’t skip it.
Then slice them into thin slices (like 1/4″ thick) just like you would apples for apple crisp, since this is a Mock Apple Crisp. Put them into a big pot with the cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice and water and mix until all the zucchini is covered. Place the pot on high heat until boiling. Boil for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You will think there’s not enough liquid in the pot for it to boil, but there will be. Just trust me.
Then you’re going to preheat your oven to 375. While the oven is preheating and the zucchini is boiling, make your topping. Grease a 9×13 pan and set it to the side. Once the zucchini mixture is finished boiling, dump it in the greased 9×13 pan. Top it with the topping mixture. I just used my fingers and sprinkled it on top keeping it pretty even over the zucchini.
Bake it at 375 for 55-60 minutes. The edges will just start to look golden brown when it’s finished. Serve it hot with ice cream! Trick your friends (or your husband like I did) and family and watch their shocked faces when they realize the apple crisp they’re eating is actually zucchini! Zucchini Crisp is going to be a sure favorite around our house this summer!
NEED ANOTHER DESSERT PERFECT FOR SUMMER? TRY MY PEACH COBBLER AND CLASSIC BLACKBERRY COBBLER RECIPES TOO!
If you have a ton of zucchini and are running out of things to make, try this zucchini crisp! It tastes JUST like apple crisp - even my picky husband was fooled!
- 8 cups zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup water
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Peel the zucchini. Then cut them in half long-ways and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Make sure to get all of them.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/4" thick slices.
- In a large pot, combine the sliced zucchini, cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice, and water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- While the zucchini boils, make the topping.
- Mix the oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar, flour and butter together in a bowl using a fork.
- When the zucchini is done boiling, pur it into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Top the zucchini with the topping mixture. Use your fingers to sprinkle the topping evenly over the surface.
- Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes at 375. The edges will just look golden brown when it's ready to come out.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- It's super important to get the seeds out before cooking, so don't skip this step.
- The topping will look thick, but it bakes into a crispy perfect topping once it's cooked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g