Southwestern Shells and Cheese is a quick dinner idea that has just the right amount of kick, and so much cheese! Take your Velveeta Shells and Cheese to a whole other level with this recipe!
Southwestern Shells and Cheese
Sometimes the best recipes come out of fridge desperation. You know, the kind of desperation where you stare at the fridge, knowing there’s only leftovers and random food items in there. A couple of years ago, fridge desperation resulted in this glorious creation that I call Southwestern Shells & Cheese.
I know this doesn’t look pretty, but this is the mixture you will add to your shells and cheese. It gives it an awesome tang, some spice, some crunch from the jalapenos, and incredible flavor.
Southwestern Shells & Cheese is basically store bought shells and cheese, with hot links (delicious spicy sausage), jalapenos, and a creamy, spicy sauce (see above) mixed in. It’s a super fast meal and is really easy to make. It is one of our all time favorite comfort foods, and I am incredibly thankful we had nothing for lunch that day!
How Spicy is this Southwestern Shells and Cheese?
I’m a serious pansy when it comes to spicy food. I have a severe geographic tongue making my mouth very sensitive to spice, so if I say it’s not too spicy, it’s really not too spicy. You leave the seeds out of the jalapenos so they just have good flavor, and are not crazy spicy.
Everyone who has this recipe, falls in love with it! It’s a recipe that makes enough for lunch the next day, and we’re always so happy there’s leftovers! I can’t wait for you to make it and fall in love with it too.
Take your shells and cheese game to a whole new level with this Southwestern Shells and Cheese recipe! It's shells and cheese with a kick!
- Family Size Box of Shells & Cheese (off brand is fine)
- 1 fresh jalapeno, chopped
- 6 Earl Campbell's Hot Links
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tablespoons Frank's Red Hot
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use Great Value brand from Walmart - Fiesta Blend)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the shells and cheese as directed on the box.
- Heat a large pan on high heat.
- While it heats up, chops your jalapeno into small pieces. Make sure to remove any seeds. Add it to the pan.
- Cut the sausages in half long ways, and then cut it into slices, add it to the pan.
- Add your softened cream cheese, milk, and Frank's Red Hot to the pan.
- Stir constantly, until all ingredients are combined, and the cream cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Add the shredded cheese to the mixture, and stir quickly so it mixes well.
- Add the whole pan of ingredients to the shells and cheese, and stir well.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1380mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g